I listen to Thom Hartmann on http://www.kpfk.org (90.7FM Los Angeles) every week and I learn new and up to date political truth which is mind satisfying and more times then I would like, aggravating.
This country (United States) has a history of oppression of non-white people, and republicans, conservatives alongside the tea party are on a constant mission to take away voting rights, public aide and basic rights to the very people who pay taxes.
What does our government do with the taxes we pay? – Give subsidies and tax breaks to wealthy corporations… But yet, there is no money to further fund programs like Medi-Cal, public school system and let’s not even get on the homeless problem in this country.
We have money to fly drones over Israel / Pakistan to kill innocent people. There is money to do everything but do for the people. If these people, our government never sees their judgment day while walking this Earth, let’s hope there is a higher being to take care of this evil.
• ObamaCare, Obama Care, and health care reform are all the same thing. The official name for “ObamaCare” is the Patient Protection and the Affordable Care Act (or ACA for short), a bill signed into law to reform the health care industry by President Barack Obama on March 23, 2010.
• ObamaCare’s goal is give more Americans access to affordable, quality health insurance and to reduce the growth in health care spending in the U.S.
• The fact is ObamaCare does not replace private insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid. If you have health coverage you like, you can keep it.
• ObamaCare regulates some of the worst practices of the for-profit health care industry.
• Many of Obamacare’s numerous provisions have already been enacted. The rest of the program starts in 2013-2014 and continues to roll out until 2022. Over 100 million Americans have already benefited from the new health care law.
• ObamaCare offers a number of new rights and protections (but in no means limited to) requiring that all insurance plans cover preventive services and provide new essential health benefits, this includes everything from yearly check-ups, to maternity care, to mental health, to mammograms and colonoscopies, at no out-of-pocket costs.
• ObamaCare includes provisions that stop insurance companies from dropping you when you are sick or if you make an honest mistake on your application, prevent against gender discrimination, stop insurance companies from making unjustified rate hikes, do away with life-time and annual limits, and require all insurers to cover people with pre-existing conditions.
In exchange for the new rights and protections most Americans must obtain health coverage by 2014, get an exemption, or pay a fee. • Open Enrollment in Your State’s marketplace is from Oct 1st, 2013 and closes March 31st, 2014.
• The Defund ObamaCare movement in Congress has led to a Government Shutdown on October 1st, 2013: House Republicans won’t pass a budget unless it repeals and defunds parts of ObamaCare and Senate Democrats won’t pass a budget unless it doesn’t.
• Congress carefully designed ObamaCare so that it will not add to the budget deficit (in fact it cuts the deficit over a ten year period). The Republican budget actually relies on savings from ObamaCare including money from the Medical device tax and employer mandate (two key provisions that have been attached to the Senate passed funding bill for fiscal year 2014 by House Republicans).
• The Medical device industry profits off of sick people, more people with insurance means more money for Hip implants, MRI scanners and catheters. Like the tax on drug companies, the medical device tax is a fair tax on the sectors of the health care industry that will profit from the law. Since the tax applies equally to imported and domestically produced devices, and devices produced in the United States for export are tax-exempt. Industry analysts say innovation likely won’t be hurt either, nor will production costs.
• The claim that ObamaCare hurts small businesses is mostly untrue. Most small businesses will get access to cheaper health plans, get tax breaks and will not be responsible for the employer mandate. The requirement to insure employees means companies like McDonalds now have to provide health benefits to full-timers. Learn more about ObamaCare’s Employer Mandate.
• Although some companies have cut back employee hours to part-time status to avoid giving them benefits in anticipation of the 2015 employer mandate, companies like America’s largest employer Walmart have decided to embrace the law moving 35,000 part-time workers to full-time and covering them and their partners.
• Both the medical device tax and employer mandate help the majority of Americans without costing them anything and will result in millions of Uninsured working Americans getting health insurance.
• ObamaCare is a hot button political issue and both sides of the aisle will try to persuade you to be for or against it. Get THE FACTS on ObamaCare and American Health Care Reform.
• About 15% of Americans are uninsured, which is a little less than 50 million men, women and children.
• The primary reasons for Americans being uninsured are cost and job loss.
• Both the individual mandate and the health insurance marketplace only affect uninsured Americans.
• For the 85% of Americans with health coverage almost all of ObamaCare’s changes are already in place.
• 7 million Americans are projected to purchase private insurance on the marketplace this year.
• 9 million Americans are projected to enroll in Medicaid or CHIP (you can apply for Medicaid and CHIP through the marketplace).
• The number of uninsured has dropped every year since the Affordable Care Act was signed into law.
• The Congressional Budget Office is projecting the rate of uninsured will drop by 14 million people in 2014.
• The 101.5 million already enrolled in government health programs like Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP won’t need to use the marketplace.
• The 170.9 million already covered by employer insurance won’t need to use the marketplace.
• In 2010 16% of uninsured were full-time workers or their dependents.
• In 2010 only 53.8% of private sector firms offered health insurance.
• Poor working families are the most likely to be uninsured.
• The “employer mandate” means come 2015 larger employers will have to insure their full-time employees and their families.
• In 2013, the average annual total cost of employer-sponsored family coverage was $16,351, and the share of the premium paid by workers was 29%. Between 2003 and 2013, premiums have increased by 80%.
• Small businesses can now get better benefits, cost-assistance and better buying power to provide employee health insurance via the SHOP (part of their State’s Health Insurance Marketplace).
• The Fact is ObamaCare gives 47 million women access to preventive health services and makes it illegal to charge women different rates than men. Get more ObamaCare Women’s Health Services Facts
• ObamaCare gives seniors access to cheaper drugs, free preventive care, reforms Medicare Advantage, and closes the Medicare Part D ‘donut hole. The AARP agrees that costs won’t rise because of ObamaCare, if anything the improvements to the system will decrease the average cost of health care for seniors.
• 1 in 2 Americans have a “pre-existing” condition that they could be denied health insurance for. ObamaCare chips Away at pre-existing conditions until 2014 when there are no more pre-existing conditions for anyone, including high-risk customers. This means you can no longer be denied coverage or treatment or charged more for health status. Find out more about pre-existing conditions.
• ObamaCare expands Medicaid to over 15 million Americans who are below the 138% Federal Poverty Level.
• 54 million Americans with private health insurance now have access to preventive services with no cost sharing due to the new minimum standards of ObamaCare.
• ObamaCare doesn’t ration health care; it protects consumers from the health care rationing that insurance companies have been doing for ages.
• ObamaCare reduces the growth in healthcare spending. The current $2.8 trillion U.S. healthcare system costs almost $9k a year for every man, woman, and child.
SEE MORE FACTS AT:
California Health Exchange at:
or call 888-975-1142
TEA PARTY / CONSERVATIVES OBJECTION TO OBAMACARE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN TO THE AMERICAN POPULATION?
The U.S. government has begun a partial shutdown for the first time in 17 years after Congress failed to break a partisan deadlock by a midnight deadline. Some 800,000 federal workers are to be furloughed, and more than a million others will be asked to work without pay. The shutdown was spearheaded by tea party Republicans who backed a House bill tying continued government funding to a one-year delay of the Affordable Care Act and the repeal of a tax to pay for it. In addition to the furloughs, the shutdown will halt dozens of services provided by government agencies. We discuss the impact of a cutback in government services with Mother Jones reporter Tim Murphy, whose latest article is “48 Ways a Government Shutdown Will Screw You Over.”
On Thursday, House Republicans passed sweeping cuts to the nation’s food stamp program, reducing spending by $40 billion over 10 years and imposing new work requirements. The Congressional Budget Office says measure would strip nearly four million people of food stamp benefits starting next year, followed by another three million for every year after. In a speech on the House floor, Democratic Rep. Jackie Speier of California held up steak, vodka and caviar to mock Republicans who want to cut food stamps while charging expensive meals to taxpayers during trips overseas.
Rep. Jackie Speier: “In my district, California 14, we have about 4,000 families who are on food stamps, but some of my colleagues have thousands and thousands more. Yet, they somehow feel like crusaders, like heroes when they vote to cut food stamps. Some of these same members travel to foreign countries under the guise of official business. They dine at lavish restaurants, eating steak, vodka and even caviar. They receive money to do this. That’s right, they don’t pay out of pocket for these meals.”
The House measure sets up a showdown with the Senate and likely will delay passage of a new farm bill until at least next year.
This is a direct hit at low income families including black & brown people along with handicapped and the elderly. The white faced men and women with the aide of a few black and brown selfish business-men-women who push forth and get bills like this passed are traders of the people who occupy this so-called great land.
How are we to have societies if we refuse to feed our children and families in need, if the schools systems fail due to low funds and if the jobs are kept at low pay?
Do the average C-Grade politicians who make it to the top not know the basics of economics? Do they not know that if the people have money in their pockets, it’s put back into the economy by sales…?
It is quite frustrating that our government blatantly show the disregard for the people. This corrupt system of politics is in need of it’s day in the court of the people.